Blog posts by mommy Shana and mommy Jess

Three children, two moms, one C.P. diagnosis....and a partridge in a pear tree.

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Happy Anniversary by mommy Jess



What is it about the human condition that even if we try and train ourselves to ignore the ticking of the clock we still hear it? That we can know with certainty the meaninglessness of the measurement of time and yet still attune ourselves to its march?

Greta’s MRI that confirmed the stroke she had shortly before, during or after birth was on January 14th 2010. Last year I noticed a general feeling of dread as that date approached even though nothing bad really happened that day. I mean, the stroke was months old by then isn’t really linked to a random day in January. I do know though that that was the last day we could pretend everything would be okay.

Though we had been engaged in speculation and maddening medical negotiations and late night research sessions since October, the mystery all ended on January 14th. And even though we like to think of ourselves as smart people who knew long before anyone would listen that there was something going on with Greta, before that date we could still sleep at night lulling ourselves with a “everything is going to be fine” lullaby.

So now it is almost two years since that day when the illusion of normal fell away with some lovely images of a then 9 month old child’s brain and the damage that had been done.

I remember fragments of that day. I remember relief that our fight for the doctor’s to listen was justified. I remember absolute horror at the revealing of the MRI images, I was surprised (I am still) by how upsetting they were to look at. I remember numbly calling people who had been following Greta’s medical journey and robotically telling them what we were told. I remember us not crying. I remember the urge, so strong I nearly had to sit on my hands, to rip the stupid electrodes off Greta’s head and unplug her from all the machines and IVs and what-nots and run away with her forever.

How can it be that two long years have passed since this day?

I do not recognize the woman who lived that day as myself. I am so different now that January 14th might as well have been the day the whimsical, impulsive, self-assured, confident, easy to laugh and slow to cry, hopeful, optimistic, dreamy Jess died and a new Jess who is bitter, full of self-doubt, is distrustful, jealous, angry, and full of guilt was born in her place.

Please save me the rage at this declaration, the accusations that I should really just cheer up, or stop wallowing, or whatever. I’m just stating a fact. I don’t expect the former Jess to come back, I see her from time to time though, she comes to visit: she sings old songs from the 90’s in the car, she patiently gets Jack yet another glass of milk at 2:00am, she combs Greta’s hair into impractical pig tails and makes the kids ice cream cones in the middle of the day, she fills the bathtub to the brim with bubbles, but she never stays. I’ve let her know her life is ready for her, the sheets are clean, the floors are swept, the laundry is folded and the dishes are washed should she ever decide to come back to stay.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this , such powerful writing. I am seven years along on this journey and I can totally relate to being so very changed from these experiences xxx lovely to "meet " you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, great to "meet" you as well!

    ReplyDelete