Blog posts by mommy Shana and mommy Jess

Three children, two moms, one C.P. diagnosis....and a partridge in a pear tree.

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Tone by Mommy Jess

I’ve been spending far too much time lately thinking about tone.

It has been said by many that it’s not what you say its how you say it, and my life is no exception.

It’s not unusual to find me any given weekday morning chained to the phone negotiating an appointment, or meeting or other service for Greta. But what is notable is my tone. I know I need to add extra sweetener to my voice during a conversation with one doctor’s office and play hardball with another’s to get my way. Strike a no nonsense tone with one while chatting about the weather with the other. All these things grease the wheels and help me get what I need for my daughter. It’s not what I say it’s how I say it.

But, I can’t always succeed at bending my tone to suite my will. I respond too quickly, don’t think things through, and God help me with the advent of “text tone”. It seems what I say becomes less important than how I say it everyday. It becomes harder and harder to resist becoming embroiled in email wars over a tiny misunderstanding or to hit send to fast and easier and easier to hurt feelings as a result.

In other tone news, Greta has what is called mixed tone, which means she has both spastic (hyper) and weak (hypo) tone. Her tone is what keeps her from being able to do much of what she wants to do. She spends a lot of time strengthening her weak muscles and trying to get her spastic muscles to relax. It seems we both have struggles with tone, though I suppose hers are much more profound. All I can say Greta, is we work towards our strengths and against our weaknesses everyday girl, and some days are going to be easier than others. Oh, that and knowing how to fake a southern accent while living in MO is priceless if you want to get things done over the phone, but that is a lesson for another day.

2 comments:

  1. I love this blog, Shana and Jess. Will be following regularly for updates on Greta. I'll be doing more reading than posting, since being their Great Aunt, I so want to know and keep up with Greta's progress. My love to them all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am officially following your blog. And I'd like to follow in person and visit if you ever want some adult conversation. Let me know. You guys are awesome! Greta looks just like Jack... that's crazy! And Gus, let's not forget the Gus man... he's got the crazy blonde hair...
    Kelsey

    ReplyDelete